[simpits-tech] Home made HUD?

jay-anna simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:34:42 -0500

Problem with HUD's is that the image is projected out to 300 feet (the
beginnings of infinity for practical purposes) and that tricks the eye
and brain to focus on both the HUD image and the distant image as both
at infinity and thus superimposed on one another.  I was talking a while
back with Chris Woodul about this and he said a lot of sims just project
the HUD image on the screen with the rest of the stuff.  Not a true
likeness of the real thing, but a lot easier, cheaper and more practical
to do.

Jay "crease-guard"

"Show me a man who cannot be bothered to do the little things, and I
will show you a man who cannot be trusted to do the big ones."
--Lawrence Bell, Founder Bell Hellicopter

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org] On Behalf Of Gene Buckle
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 12:26 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Home made HUD?

> I seem to recall ages ago someone on the list mentioned a home-brewed
HUD.

> Can anyone remember any details??

I had found an article online about a home-built (or at least home
*buildable*) HUD, but the author blew me off when I asked for details.

Personally, I hope the little f'tard rots in his own little
collegiate(sp!) hell, but that's just me. :)

HUD design is a tricky beast indeed.  One of the more interesting things
discovered this weekend is that the HUD image won't show up in the
combining glass if you look through it on the other end.  It was pretty
neat. :)