[simpits-tech] Projector

Allen Buffington simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:34:50 -0600

Johan Nauwelaertz de Agé wrote:

>  Can someone of you lucky guys that own a projector tell me what
> distance is needed to get a picture width of aprox 2 meters ( 80"
> ) Johan

My projector will do 2 meters (80") wide at 3.7 meters distance (146").

BTW... I am exploring some alternative materials for making a rear
projection screen.
One idea that I tried was using a window tint that replicates a frosted
surface.
It was not frosted enough to capture the image and would blind you
sitting in direct
front view of the projector.
The next idea I am trying is to use a mylar vellum sheet material that I
found. The sheet is used in ultra-wide architectural plotters (up to 60"
wide). So far I have not had much luck finding any local source for
anything wider than 36". This material cannot be pieced or seamed
together without showing either the seaming tape or material overlap. To
order a roll from the factory the minimum roll length is 100' so this is
not an option. However I might be able to get a name and phone number
from them of someone who may have ordered some 60" wide rolls and then
see if they would part with an 8 foot piece.
After I locate the material, my plan is to have a local glass shop mount
the mylar in an aluminum window screen frame. The material would be
stretched tight in the frame and then I would mount the screen frame on
an adjustable metal stand.
I will keep the group posted on any developments.

~~Allen