[simpits-tech] The Cougar Has landed - Mating Season

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:47:33 -0400

I stole a quick look inside the grip.  There is good news and bad news:

First the Bad News:

The screw on gray collar must go.  In fact, so too, the shaft that it
attaches to on the grip side.  The screw on collar is too big for a real
base.  Also, the mounting angle is wrong.  The Cougar sits strait up off its
mount.  The real grip leans forward 13 degrees.

I will need to make a coupler that adapts the Cougar grip to my base and
corrects the mounting angle.  This will add a little to the price of the
base, but not much.

The user will need to open his grip to make the mod (4 screws).  Once made,
it will not fit the original base unless you remove my adapter and reinstall
the original parts.  At least it is not a permanent mod.

Some Good News:

I can make an adapter that is easy for the user to install.  Fortunately,
Thrustmaster used a tiny plug and socket on the inside PC Board for the
wires, so you can unplug their mount and plug mine in.  That means no
soldering required!  There is one screw you need to unscrew inside the grip.
It is easy, even for the mechanically declined.

Right now it looks like I will make an extension cable to plug into the
Cougar base.  This will allow the user to keep his software the same.  I
don't know how I will interface the output of the force sensor to the
Cougar's base, if at all.  If I can, it will require a mod to the base.  I
am steering away from that idea.  You may need to use the game port or EPIC
for the force transducer interface.

All in all, it is good news for Cougar owners.

If you are thinking about a Cougar, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

For those guys that have the real grip and base, hang in there.  After I
finish my stick base, I'll be building am interface card that will allow a
real F-16 base and grip to work with the PC game port or EPIC.  ;-)

Marv