[simpits-tech] F-16 Force Transducer Side Stick

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:01:01 -0400

Sukit,

The design I have should prevent no problems with regard to life span and it
is very simple (which makes for better reliability).

However, until I get my Cougar (maybe today or tomorrow), I can't complete
the design.

I have heard about the adjustment to limit the grip's travel on the Cougar.
For me it would not work since I plan to put a canopy on my cockpit and the
canopy rails are very close to the side of the stick.  You would not be able
to move the stick to the right without contacting the canopy.  I think there
is about 4 cm between the side of the stick grip and the canopy rail.

For those that do not want a canopy, I think there are people interested in
just having the "feel" of a real F-16 stick to add some realism to the sim.

Also, my base will allow those with a cockpit to have all of the panels
(LRUs) installed in the right side console.

As a side note.  My original no-move side stick I built is actually
mechanical, not electrical.  I used standard PVC 1.5" plumbing tubing as the
core.  The base is made from hardwood, shaped to the exact same size as the
real base.

The plastic PVC pipe runs down through the side console all of the way to
the bottom of the cockpit.  The top of the PVC pipe has three nylon disks
stacked on top of each other.  The center disk has a long 1/2" steel rod
attached to it.  The rod extends downward to the bottom where I mounted a
CTS mini-stick.  This is a tiny mechanical joystick with 100K pots.

Back to the top set of disks...  The center disk is sandwiched between two
thicker disks that bolt together.  Those thicker disks press fit into the
top of the PVC pipe.  By adjusting the bolts, I can set the tension for how
stiff the stick moves.  The 1/2" steel rod extends up past the top of the
stick base and is what the grip is mounted to.

The problem with the design was that the force required to move the grip is
the same in all directions.  So, I loosened those top bolts and added
springs at the bottom of the steel rod to make the side to side and front to
back independently adjustable.  That works pretty well.

My mechanical system only has about 1/4" of movement and 1/8" of that is due
to the plastic grip flexing.

Marv