[simpits-tech] F-16 Force Transducer Side Stick

Sukit, Sittisudjatum simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:52:54 -0400

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

------_=_NextPart_001_01C274AE.5C367700

Thank you, Marv and Erwin.  You guys have so many information on hands.

"While the transducer I am using has no movement, there will be a special
coupler between the grip and the transducer that will allow for a slight bit
of movement, just like the real thing."

I'm thinking about that, too.  The combination of transducer and some kind
of hard spring or rubber ring to allow movement.  But the life of a the
rubber may not as long as we expect...then we have to think about spare part
again.  I'm wondering if there is a possibility for ordering very small
quantity (less than 500 sets) of those small parts that you can't
manufactured them by yourself (spring, bush, rubber, etc.)

During the weekend, I read a Cougar manual and found that we can set X-axis
and Y-axis to get a little movement, also get more sensitivity if wanted.
To prove it, I brought the baby out from the box and get it connected ...
man, it's so much easier than setting the F-22+TQS that have been used for
years.  When activate the Cougar Hotas Software and set the movement of X
and Y axis to minimum (100% at the side bar for both upper and lower
side)... then having the sensitivity of both axis set to 32 (maximum
position, then the shape of the graph becomes 'S' curve instead of '/'
shape).

I tested it in the Falcon 4.0 flight, and found very interesting result, I
can reduce the movement the stick from ~60 degrees (30 to the left, 30 to
the right, and the same for pull and push) to something less than 30 degrees
(15 degree on each side).  By setting the sensitivity to the maximum value,
the stick responded very fast, I could perform a hard turn or full rolls
just when move the stick to approx. 5 degrees out from the center.  Next, I
set the sensitivity to zero, and found that it has to be a full 15 degrees
from the center to get a full roll or hard turn.

Sorry that I cannot remember the specific names of each values, but they all
show in the Cougar Control panel... and you Cougar owners should know what I
meant.  My question is that 'Is it good enough compare to the real thing by
setting the Cougar this way?' and 'How can we eliminate the large gimbals or
make a modify kit with low cost to fit in a replica stick base?'

Marv, please also try your Cougar (when arrive, of course) if the result is
appropriate.... Albert raised this cool idea when we had beer in Sydney.

Sukit Sittisudjatum

www.thaiflight.com <http://www.thaiflight.com>

Bangkok, Thailand