[simpits-tech] Looking for some sounds...

Justin Messenger simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

Me thinks it is a lot more practical to simply build
some transducers into your pit. When you touch down,
get hit by enemy fire, or kick in afterburner you know
it. _TRUST ME_  I know there are a bunch of other
people on this list who can second that from their own
experience.

My first experience with transducers was in Kiko's
cockpit.
http://www.picornell.net/images/Viper1/viper%201%20homepage.htm

Everytime I kicked in burner I about jumped out the
pit from surprise! I was not used to that kind of
feedback at all and had a computer subwoofer in my
pit. He has a little transducer right in the back of
his real ejection seat and it has some punch.

I've since been in other pits and the ones without the
transducers were boring. I now have two for my
cockpit.
Marv built a subwoofer box into the rear of his
cockpit behind the ejection seat. That was very
effective too, but takes more work to construct and
the overall sound volume is much louder per the same
amount of feedback.

out of balance motors will shake the crap out of your
pit or make it feel like a massage chair(been there
done that). I dont think in the long term you will
want anything "banging your pit" either. It tears
things up (electronics) if not designed properly.
Of course the VRF feedback seat would be the best way
to go. That is a case where motors are preferable.

Prohm once tested a sound trigger that operated off of
the "g grunts" in F4.0, The idea being it could drive
a g suit.
Just my 2 Cents.
Justin

Touch down.   You could have a pair of out of balance
motors laterally
either side of the cockpit to simulate the sort of
shimmy you get on touch
down.
Enemy Fire.   How about two or three solenoids banging
on the rear bulhead
to simulate incoming fire. It would be sure to sharpen
you up.