[simpits-tech] Re: F-16 Force Transducer Side Stick

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:05:21 -0400

The transducer is fully compatible with either the EPIC or the PC game port
with a signal of 0 to 5 volt.

Yes, my understanding is that the force required is +/- 25 lbs. for front to
back and +/- 10 lbs. for side to side.

I want to make mine user adjustable from those numbers just cited down to
something much lower.  I don't know what the lower limit will be just yet.
Should have that dialed out in a week or two.
Sukit,

I am not sure about the actual amount of stick movement on the real
assembly.  The earliest ones had none.  Later, they added some play to give
about 1/32", but it was different for some directions.  I have heard rumor
that they have relaxed the amount of movement even more to perhaps 1/4".

Mine will have something between the two numbers I quoted above.  I have not
decided on the exact amount, but I think 1/8" is a good compromise.

While the transducer I am using has no movement, there will be a special
coupler between the grip and the transducer that will allow for a slight bit
of movement, just like the real thing.

Just like the my gauges, I am trying for a faithful replication of the F-16
side stick, right down to all of the shiny screws and various labels.

I am looking into making the rubber boot that the modern Block 50 uses
between the grip and the base.  That will add the final touch.  ;-)

Marv