[simpits-tech] RE: Seat and Hal Sensors

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:11:33 -0700 (PDT)

> After seeing that seat, I won't settle for anything less than that.
> That's what I had in mind when I started mine, but I don't really have
> the knowledge to work with those types of materials.

You'd be surprised at the results you can get by just using Chris Van
Lierop's ACES II seat plans.

> using Hal sensors going to make the Cougar compatible with the Epic
> system as opposed to Pots?  Wouldn't you have to "rewire" the cougar to
> make it into a 15 pin out joystick so that you could plug it into the

It's not that I'm trying to make the Cougar EPIC compatible, I want a
reliable replacement for mechanical pots.  The Cougar utilizes a three
wire pot.  A positive, a negative and a wiper wire.  The circuit board is
actually measuring a voltage, not a resistance.  The EPIC (USB Version)
_requires_ a three wire pot because it too measures voltage, not
resistance.

A standard PC joystick only needs two wires.  Instead of measuring a
voltage, the interface was designed to utilize a much cheaper capacitor
based circuit that just measures the (charge or discharge, I don't recall
which) of the capacitor.  The 8 bit ADC gives you a 0 to 255 result,
depending on the position of the pot.  (which is typically 100K Ohms).

This whole thing started when CubPilot(?) posted about his HED mod to the
Cougar.  If I can find a linear HED for cheap enough, I don't have to
build a nasty rack and pinion system for the dual throttles in the F-15.
I can't use a regular slide pot because the pushrod travel is longer than
commercially available slide pots (they're made, but they're $$$$$).

g.