[simpits-tech] translucent screen

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 00:52:37 +0000

Hey pitbulls,

The recent posts about projector display systems got me thinking. I'm not
sure how many of you caught my post about the B-1B sim's display system, but
just in case you didn't I'll recap:

Basically how the display system worked was in front of the cockpit was a
very large curved mirror. Looking into the mirror from the cockpit you would
be looking at a large translucent screen, which in turn was being projected
upon from the rear by 3 projectors. What I'm curious about is if anyone can
think of a way to build (or place to buy) a translucent screen for this type
of display setup. It would be interesting to try out, as it develops a sense
of depth that I don't think a straight projection really does. Any thoughts?

Incidently, small update on the Merc project: I've got about 5 people total
on the team right now, including 2 graduate students. At the conference this
past weekend, I confirmed the fact that yes, everyone on the project CAN
apply for funding through the Space Grant Consortium. Fellowship grants are
$2500 for undergrads, and $5000 for grad students. So that's $17,500 of
funding, if we all get it! :) I'll know in late febuary if any of us did or
not. Oh, and that's just fellowship grants, we'd also be eligible for some
public awareness funding because of the mission of this particular sim
(build interest in spaceflight in the area). So anyway, while I wouldnt
actually get any money untill May, if we can get that kind of funding then
I'm sure by the end of the year I'll know EXACTLY how to spend it! :)

Brian