[simpits-tech] MARV: Ejection Seat Relocation

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 16:40:02 -0500

Speaking of pots, how well do pots work when hooked to EPIC or a
dedicated game card? I've heard that the adjustable timing allows the
pots to be "jitter" free and easier to calibrate. I used a digital
Logitech joystick for some time but didn't notice the calibration being
much better (if at all) than a standard analog stick. But my Sidewinder
FF Pro is incredible! It is digital but uses an optic sensor for the XY
axis (and maybe for the rudder and throttle, not sure) it centers
perfectly and NEVER needs calibration. It doesn't even have a
calibration utility, actually. No jitters either, and equal response in
both axis directions. I don't think I would ever be satisfied with a
standard joystick again.

But, for cockpit building purposes, I doubt optic sensors are an option.
Pots are so cheap and simple, I am hoping they work as well (or at least
almost as well) as optic sensors, if you use the right hardware with
them. What about USB? I hear USB sticks calibrate a lot better. I don't
have the skills to do the electronics but as I understand it they still
use pots, so I could hack a USB stick for use in throttles etc. Or even
get a gameport to USB adapter.

	-Matt Bailey