[simpits-tech] MARV: Ejection Seat Relocation

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:54:58 -0400

Steve,

The real stick only moves about 1/32" in any one direction.  The "pivot"
point is near the center of the stick housing.  It is totally force
sensitive, well, that is not entirely true.  The sensor system is LVDS and
will electronically measure minute movement of a "slug" inside a coil.

I have a fellow classmate (who flew F-16s in Japan) that told me a story
about a friend of his that was doing bomb drop practice over the ocean with
a ship as the target.

The pilot made his run, dropped, then looked back over his shoulder to get a
view of his run.  He looked a little too long and when he returned his gaze
forward he saw nothing but ocean.

The flight recorder recorded 100 lbs. of force on the grip as he pulled back
like a maniac.  The recorder also captured the HUD with 000 MSL on the
altimeter.

Later he was drilled and grilled by superior officers.  When asked why he
pulled 9 Gs he replied, "Sir! Because I couldn't pull 10 Gs, sir!"

My point is, the F-16 grip is very robust.  As a design goal, my stick will
easily handle that force, but I don't know how well a Cougar will take it.
I need to buy one and run some experiments with the mounting mechanism.

I should point out that my stick base will also have the same limited 1/32"
movement.  You can adjust the amount of force required for full scale
electronically from about 5 lbs. to 25 lbs, but the actual movement will be
just like the real thing (virtually none).  My stick base measures actual
force on the grip, not movement.

The seat height adjustment is accomplished with a toggle switch on the right
wall of the cockpit, just behind the left AUX console.  The pilot will
clench his fist on top of his helmet and adjust the height so it just
touches the canopy.  I am going to try doing this with an electric car seat
motor on my seat.  Should work nicely since my seat and I together weigh
less than 200 - 225 lbs.  The auto manufactures design those seats to handle
300 lbs.+.

What I don't yet know for sure is if the adjustment goes strait up and down
or along the seat rails.  I think it simply rides up and down the seat
rails, but I need to find out from another Viper driver to be sure.

Marv