[simpits-tech] Save the spare change...

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 17:42:51 -0400

The whole system is passive.

They use a torsion bar that runs through the center of the pedal's
horizontal axle for the foot brake tension.  The two black cylinders above
the axle just inside the foot pedals are linear sensors that measure the
amount of pedal rotation when the brakes are applied.  Those sensors do not
add any force to the pedal.

The left-right rudder movement is bound by the two fat gray cylinders on
either side of the center post.  They have springs inside and are adjustable
for tension and centering the pedals.

The left-right rudder movement is sensed by a sensor in a odd shaped box
that sits behind the left foot pedal.  I don't know exactly what kind of
sensor they use inside the box.  The rudders I dissected had replaced that
sensor with a standard rotary pot and a gear and track.  It was set up for
simulator use.