[simpits-tech] A-4k Side Consoles

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:02:51 +1300

I have been working on the side console panels for my A-4k cockpit, and here’s
how I did it…..
A lot of research was required, especially as there were only about 20 A-4k
<Kahu> Skyhawks ever built….
Once I had all the details I drew each panel full size in Corel Draw, with all
hole centres marked.
Next step was to make the back plates. I was going to use a material
called “Zintec” which is a good easy steel to work with, but finally went with
18# aluminium sheet as it is much softer and so easier to cut irregular shapes
out of J
I stole an idea from Roy, and printed the drawings out full-size, taped
them to
the ali back-plates and drilled right through them.
For the front panels I used ¼” MDF, cut to size then drilled, filled and
sanded
to shape the outline. I drilled pilot holes at 1/8” in both the aluminium and
MDF, then drilled each hole out to the required size. The final step in
the “shaping” process was rounding out the holes with a steel deburring bit,
which gave a nice smooth edge to the holes.
After all the drilling and shaping was done a quick sand to smooth the surface
finished it off.
For the graphics I printed my CorelDraw drawing without the holes marked the
carefully cut around the edges (slightly in from the edge actually).
I painted both the back-plate and MDF front panel with semi-gloss black in a
spray can, and while the paint was still tacky stuck the neatly trimmed
graphics on to the front panel. I will probably use a self-adhesive vinyl on
the final version.
Assembly was simple enough, switches, rotaries and pots bolted into the back
plate, then the facia plate is bolted on the front.
Last step, and last thing to make were the spacers for the 4 corner mounting
screws. I used 3/16” x 1” counter sunk screws (which gave the correct head
size for the panels I’m replicating). Spacers were 3/8” x 16# aluminium tube
cut to ¼” long then one end countersunk to match the screws.
So that’s the RCP done…. 1 down, 26 to go…. It’s going to be a busy week ;-)
Sean.