[simpits-tech] Thoughts

Stig Joergensen simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:31:11 +0100

Rob,

After i send the mail i realized that it could be read as one big
excuse, which was not the intension at all but a small attempt to state
fact - here i go again, making excuses - some one please stop me.....

Anyway, got slammed enough so i might aswell tell a little about my
project (or idea)

It started out as a sketch to build an F16 but the more i got into this,
i realized that a commercial plane might be better, as support for
cockpit interactivity might be better with the M$F$ series over time, i
fear that well only see a couple other sims out there with these kind of
support (falcon V - mostly due to Erwin, and LOMAC - thats genes
department), but i think that the FS series will continue to bring a new
one every other year or so - anyway thats the reason for me going
commercial.

So the next question came, what plane to choose, there was basically 4
to choose from,

1) a piper (a small)
2) a learjet (little bigger)
3) the Airbus (big)
4) Boeing (huge son-of-a-bitch).

I started to think about the learjet, a small plane with jet engines so
i could travel all over europe without spending a week in the air but
soon realized there was not that much info available, so i changes
horses again - and now it might be the B747 or A340, started working
with Steve S (where are you?) to collect some stuff and now have a good
collection of pilot stuff, not much on the cockpit or airframe front
though.

Then started to mess with electronics again (been 15+ years since my
last involvement, and the world pretty much got digital on me in the
mean time) - made a few small gizmos, just to see if i still had it -
they was working on the prototyping board so i was now convinced that i
would be ok, with a little help from various groups that it.

Next up i needed to design the cockpit - started to sketch a few things
and found that i currently dont have the room for a full cockpit,
although it could be cool if my home office was a flighdeck but not that
practical, so started to build a desktop pit where i can stove the
sticks away when not needed until the day where i move to a bigger place

while doing all of this, i spend a couple of hours a week researching
plastics and how cast panels and stuff like that. I haven't found the
solution yet though

This is where im at at the moment, my next project is to build a driver
for windows - a TCP/IP keyboard and mouse - but this might bee a too big
thing for me to handle - time will tell

thanks for staying on this long - i know i was rambling but..... who
knows - my thoughts might be useful to someone......

ohh and by the way - i did do an article
http://www.clearsky.dk/Electronics/PCBMaking/Step1.htm so i properly
shouldn't fell haunted...

/Stig