[simpits-tech] QF-4G Phantom..vs Training aids.

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:15:11 -0500

Justin Messenger wrote:

> When they have have hundreds of worn out fighters I
> guess they have to do something with them. And like it
> or not, the F-16A is now old too. I seem to remember
> hearing something about old F-16's having wingbox
> problems. I've been to AMARC and there were a bunch of
> old F-16's, F-14's, F-15's, F-18's, and a whole lot of
> F-4's in storage.

	Yeah that place is AWESOME! I wish they would let me roam the place for
about a day or so with a flatbed trailer. :)

> They do use purpose built target drones, but they are
> required by law to shoot at full sized targets too,
> for size realism. FYI, a QF-16 being shot at wouldn't
> have a pilot it it either.

	I would hope not. :) I meant the aircraft could be designed without
provision for the pilot in the first place...the cockpit and certain
systems, like O2, are just wasted resources in a pilotless drone.
	Why coudldn't a drone be made full size?

	-Matt Bailey