[simpits-tech] QF-4G Phantom..vs Training aids.

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:56:32 +1300

At 11:49 AM 11/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Oh I agree the F-16 is a fine plane, and frankly I am suprise that the
>military is wasting this thing on target practice. As much as I like the
>F-4, it is old and uses old tech so I can understand why they would be
>more inclined to trash it (even though other countries are reworking it
>into a viable modern fighting machine).

At this juncture in the conversation I'd recommend putting on some
flameproof gear, coz I can almost the smell the smoke coming from Justin's
ears.....  ;-)

>Why can't they just design a purpose built target drone? It could be
>built very cheaply, and could easily turn with the F-16's and other
>fighters (or could be set up to significantly out turn it, since it
>would be lighter, plus excessive g forces would be less of a concern
>since there's no pilot).
>
>         -Matt Bailey

How about, using the F-16's because they are clapped out, apparently many
of them are in worse structural condition than the F-4's anyway.......
Oh and I can't see them using F-16's anyway,  they are after all, a
one-shot kill.....  At least the Phabulous Phantom will stand some
punishment, and come on home!
The 16 is also a bit fragile.... I don't think it would survive the remote
controlled landings.  If I had to pick what would be used next I'd go for
F/A-18, or at a stretch F-14.  F/A-18 would be easier with the more modern
FBW setup..

Hokee Dokee... let the flame war begin ;-)

Sean