[simpits-tech] RE: I-Glasses and my pit

Eric D. Taylor simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 22:43:57 -0700

Craig,

I had them working with IL-2 perfectly.  Easy to calibrate.  Once you
get used to the adjustment on FOV it's quite natural.  Especially when a
Bandit comes zoom across your FOV and you can follow him across while
turning in to follow.  It's a very immersed environment.  Building a
full cockpit now, this won't work for me, I feel like taking the glare
shield off the glasses lessens the experience.  I bought a 640 x 480
older projector on ebay a while back to test the immersiveness of a 12'
x 12' picture on the wall.  I personally enjoyed that more.  If I could
find a happy medium on front, left, and right, views all together it
would be great, but I feel like it wouldn't be possible using Falcon 4
as my sim of choice.  I am using phidgets right now to put together my
switches and dials, and it's working quite well.  I have found some 5.6"
LCD monitors for $114.00 US at a site I can't seem to recall just now,
and am using F4 Glass to run those.  Right now I'm up to 4 computers to
run everything.  :-)  Tigerdirect has some barebone kits running $89.95
right now, the computers are just powerful enough to run the lcd's.  I
figured I didn't need much more than a 450mhz machine just to do that.
I just need to find a place to laser engrave my panels and I'm set.
Been doing a lot of hardware research first, then grunt work will be
next.  I wish F4 glass could pull MFD's.  That would be superior.

Eric

P.S.  I have tried using magnetic and mercury switched head mounted
trackers.  So far the magnetic has performed the best, slightly harder
to calibrate given proximity to cpu, monitor, etc.  But overall better
performance.