[simpits-tech] CH stick/flight control feel

Justin Messenger simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

That sounds like it would work fine for simply adding
a better feel to the stick. I guess it all depends on
the amount of resistance the motors you use provide.
The #1 reason I added the linkage to my sim is because
I need to link two joysticks. The 2nd stick will
simply move the forward stick, that means I dont have
to put pots in the second stick. If the rear cockpit
were designed with the capacity to fly independently
of the front cockpit, then I'd be forced to place pots
in the rear cockpit too. Something I now realize is
that when pulled aft the F-4's stick returns to a
neutral position. This is due to the Flight computer
system. Part of the after take off check list is to
pull back an the stick and see if it returns to
neutral position after you release it. If the the
stick does not move forward then you have an AFCS
failure and the plane is unsafe for high performance
flying. I'm going to add a spring that pulls the stick
forward almost to the neutral position.

Something else I I've thought about was using the CH
stick to run a motor as a rudder pedal shaker. I
haven't really put much thought into it yet.

Justin

Justin,   Had a thought last night after reading your
message about loading
up the linkage. You really need to feel that you are
moving flying surfaces
around with a bit of a stick through treacle feel.
 I thought of using a  pair of unpowered  D.C. motors
belt driven from the
shafts with a ratio of about 3 to 1 to provide
resistance.
The next step would be to power them via a relay from
the switching current
of the C.H. feedback motors.
Do you reckon this would be feasible?, it would
certainly be easier than my
original idea using small pneumatics.