[simpits-tech] Electronic USB modules

fitchett simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 15 May 2002 19:47:14 -0600 (MDT)

Ah - and the existing code base interfacing to the sim software is
significant enough that it needs to be saved.

I'm not terribly crazy about making PS/2 interfaces for a specialized
application, however I believe this can be solved in software.

Is the existing software polling the PS/2 port registers directly, or
relying on operating system calls?  What operating systems is this code
running on?

Assuming a lot, I would say the solution (for my stuff) relies on writing
a quick piece of software that runs on the computer, and fires keyboard
events into windows.  Then the applications would receive their keyboard
strokes just as if it had came from a PS/2 port.  This little bit of
software would be configured from a file, so multiple USB phidgets with
hundreds of inputs each can be mapped onto key strokes.  Simple.

This assumes that the computers running these simpits
A) Have USB ports,
B) run Win2000/XP.

I can crank out a bit of code to demo this, if you want.

Chester