[simpits-tech] Electronic USB modules

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 15 May 2002 15:49:07 -0700 (PDT)

> A 256 input InterfaceKit using a scanning matrix topology - see Gene's
> nice diagram at
> http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/ematrix.png
> This module uses a 40 pin header to connect to your pit.  It comes with
> 256 diodes.  This module is $50.

I know that the high cost of entry as represented by the EPIC is
preventing a significant number of you from starting or completeing(sp)
your projects.

This new interface that Chester has created all but erases the biggest
barrier to a good cockpit - the hardware interface.  Even the smallest
cockpit project can benefit from this thing.  Additionally, you can hook
up more than one of these things up to your machine.  You need 2000 or
more inputs for that fancy passenger jet??  No problem.  You can easily
hook up 8 of these to one or two USB hubs and get the job done.  The only
limitation is the USB specification itself.

Now combine this with the other Phidgets that Chester makes and you've got
the core of some seriously cool fun.  The fantastic part is that they
don't cost an arm and a leg.  You won't have to dig into the kids' college
fund to build a cockpit with Phidgets. :)

The software I'm working on supports FS98/2k/2k2 and CFS2.  After
completion, X-Plane and Falcon 4 support will be added.  It's easy to use
and with the exception of Falcon 4, doesn't have to run on the computer
the flight simulator software is running on.  I hope to have a beta
available soon.

g.