[simpits-tech] Flying online?

Stuart Whelan simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 15 May 2002 12:47:19 +1200

Thanks for the reply Sukit!

Does changing your com frequency automatically change your RW channel? I
did not think it did.

This is how I understand it:

In order to get your RW channel to change you must get the channel info
from the controllers ATIS.
In order to get the controllers atis you must either request it using
.atis <name> or bring up the ATC directory and double click the
controllers name... Squawkbox will parse the atis looking for RW channel
info and then join you to the requested channel, as well as setting your
com frequency to the controllers frequency..

This poses a problem, as how do you get the controllers ATIS without
having a keyboard to type the controllers name, or a monitor to see what
controllers are online?

We are working on a couple of ideas for our 767 cockpit:

1. Put a small MFD type LCD screen under the com radios, this would
display the squawkbox window.
2. Map button presses to various options:
	Button 1: type .atc<enter> (This would pop up the atc directory
dialog)
	Button 2: Move selection up.
	Button 3: Move selection down.
	Button 4: Press Enter to select item.

This would allow us to simulate using the mouse to select a ATC station.

The problem with this is that it means yet another video card with
TV-Out to drive the LCD MFD is required.