[simpits-tech] Stepper motor controll ....sorta O/T

lt1_z28@swbell.net simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 02 May 2002 12:09:34 -0500

Ben Jones wrote:

> I do  a bit of formation flying  occasionally on weekends  with my girlfriend and another couple,
> what i want to do is tape our flying sessions on a "Handicam"  to view later blah  blah...
>
>   i want to mount the handi cam  on a remote controlled movable mount  , so i can mount a togle switch on the controll collum and move the camera depending on the position i am flying in  eg line aster, left/right echelon , or a interior shot ,
>
> i am going to use a servo motor found in a radio controlled aircraft , what can i build to controll the servo motor from a toggle switch left righ or center , must be simple cheap and run off a 12vdc power supply ,
>
> the design on the mechanical system has been  done and is just about made ,  just the buts between the switch and the servo are confusing me ?

Might want to look into a Basic Stamp or OOPic. Both will control a
servo without any extra hardware. Just set it up so that when you push a
button it toggles between 2 pulse widths, one for each position, and
build a gimbal mount. The code won't be more than a few lines and the
hardware will consist of the mount, servo, OOPic/Stamp, and button. Less
than $50 total.

You could also build a circuit that switches between 2 gizmos that will
spit out the correct pulse widths for each position. More complicated,
but less money.

I'd go with the OOPic, personally, mainly because I have one already.

On a somewhat similar note, does anyone know of a small camera/VCR setup
that could be put in a car to record, say, a 1/2 hour loop? Yesterday
some joker hit me on the road when I clearly had the right of way, and
is now lying and saying that it's my fault. A tape of the incident would
have this situation resolved already instead of having to figure out a
way to prove that I'm telling the truth and him and his "witness" (who
wasn't within a mile of us) are fulla chit.
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/