[simpits-tech] EPIC USB Resources

Bill Kaufman simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:25:16 GMT

Hi Folks,

I am new to the list and I have been lurking in the background for a few
weeks now.

I am building a full size locomotive simulator using actual locomotive
controls and components. Although my simulator never leaves the ground, I
think what I am doing is very similar to what everyone here does with
flight simulators. Let's face it, controls are controls.

I built a fullsize cab and bought a nose section from a General Electric,
model U33C locomotive over the past 10 years. MOst of this time has been
spent building the cab. General Electric has been very helpful with
information on the cab structure. I am now at the point of wiring
everything together. Originally I was going to build my own interface to
the PC and write my own simulator until I found out what you folks were
doing with the EPIC and Flight Simulator. The EPIC will save years and I
mean years of development time. My simulator will tie into either
Microsoft's Train Simulator or some of the other commercially available
simulators on the market. Using the EPIC, controlling the train is easy
through the keyboard. Getting the data for outputs out of MSTS is another
story... This part will come in time.

I bought the EPIC USB a month ago and I am currently redesigning my wiring
for the EPIC interfaces. I do not have many changes as I kept the simulator
wiring as generic as possible. i.e All of my switches and lights all
terminate at large connectors for the main controller. It is up to the main
controller to "deal" with them from there. So it really comes down to
changing the main controller out for the EPIC. Since I was only in the
preliminary designs of the controller, not a lot of time was lost. The
controller has the main controller/PC interface enclosed in a box with
removable cards for maintenance. I merely had to change the logic voltage
levels to 12V and redesign the main controller for the EPIC.

I have a few questions for the group:

1. Are there resources available on the EPIC USB? I have all of the
documentation from R&R and Flight Link's web site. I am looking for
information on other manufacturer's interface cards for the EPIC bus or
possibly details on the EPIC bus so that I might create my own interfaces.

2. Is there more information on EPL for the USB? I have read through the
documentation that came with it and I am wondering if there is more
information out there geared towards the USB version.

Thanks in advanced for any assistance you may be able to provide. Please
ask any questions you may have.

Bill