[simpits-tech] I'm so happy!

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:51:55 +1300

I had the most amazing afternoon yesterday!

I got an invite to take some photos and dimensions of the last remaining
RNZAF A-4's.  Saddled up with cameras, digital and SLR, tape measure,
notebook and a heap of questions....

I got the whole buck-fifty tour, all over the jet inside and out, snapped a
few photos then an avionics tech wandered over.  I showed him some pics of
my 'pit and he got all interested and offered the grand tour of the
avionics suite in the aircraft.  I now know what 90% of the knobs and
buttons do, and even got a run-down on the radar (non-emitting test mode
only) and HUD.  This guy was a true enthusiast, and when I said that I
planned on building a HUD for my pit he said "good luck" :)  Then I got a
really detailed run down on the optics of the HUD (and the HUD recording
system) which I will have to go over (yes I tooks notes) before I actually
understand what he said!!!

In the end I only took about 20 digi pix, and a handful of print shots,
mainly because the box full of stuff they kept giving me just got too damn
heavy!
I remember reading an article that Justin wrote, in it he said something
about if you ever intend using real parts in your cockpit make sure you get
the dimensions right.  I thought "I'll NEVER be able to get real parts, so
that don't apply to me", I did make the dimensions of my pit right, which
is now paying off... The box I was referring to ended up being filled with
all kinds of useful (to me) junk (to them) like Gear handle, ground power
select switch, instrument glasses, static vent covers, pitot tube covers,
wing tip NAV lights, and formation lights (don't know what I'll use them
for but...)

The Air Force team are building a TA-4 out of junk, the nose is from a BDR
trainer, originally a US Navy TA-4J, the rear fuse is from an A-4K, as is
one wing (don't even remember where the other one came from!) etc etc,
anyway they are building up the cockpits as they were when the jets arrived
in 1972, and they are doing a lot of things just like we all are!  They
don't have all the avionics boxes, since most where replaced in the '90s
when the aircraft were updated and so have to build replicas....  Very cool
stuff too, I hope to get back over there to take some more photos of the
restoration, there may be some very useful stuff for us in what they are doing!

After the tour of the hangar I was chatting to my guide who works in
Aircrew Life Support Equipment (ALSE), very interesting guy he was too,
showed me the in's and out's of the Escapac ejection seat and all the
associated harnesses and clothing.  I mentioned to him that I was having
all kinds of trouble finding the Koch fittings for my seat, (not the
easiest thing to find on the market here in NZ!) he said that the fittings
were always being checked, and even the smallest defect would see them
tagged U/S and thrown out!  He rummaged around his desk and found me a
pair! (I have looked all over them and cant for the life of me find
anything wrong with them!)  I was gobsmaked!  This sort of thing NEVER
happens to me, I could not stop thanking the guy....  Finally after looking
over the other seats and safety gear (He also had a Martin Baker seat out
of a Macchi in the bay) we were about to head out when I happened to glance
into the trash can (is that a common habit among simpit builders?  Hell
yes!) and what did I see? a dark visor for the latest Alpha flight helmets
(UK manufactured lightweight fast jet helmets) I asked if he was *really*
throwing that out, and he said "do you want it?", no sooner  was I diving
into the trash can..... I now have in my hot sweaty hands, 2 sets of clear
and dark visors, apparently scratched....

What a trip, and the best part is I got an invite to go back again!

Sean <I'm_so_damn_happy_I_could_fly!> G.