[simpits-tech] Putting the Bend back in your side panels ...

Chris Crowley simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:07:01 -0400

Hello,
I had completed the cutouts of my MDF for the F-16 cockpit sides when I
learned from the group that there was a bend back to horizontal about
halfway down on both sides of the instrument panels.

I was able retrofit this feature into my pit and would like to share the
process I used.

1. Using a string stretch it across the area to be restored. (you will need
to know where the bend comes in, a mock up of the panels will help)
2. Drive screws in to the MDF so that the heads are about 1/8 below the
string.
3. wrap wire (around 22-24 ga) around the screws to build up the
"structure".
4. Using scrap MDF create a mold to spray in some foam. I used "great
stuff". I also applied Vaseline to the insides of the mold so I could remove
them more easily.
5. Fiberglass (be sure to let cure for a few days)
6. Sand (80 or 100 grit)
7. Sand some more
8. Bondo body filler - to smooth it all out.
9. Sand again. I used 80 grit followed by 220.

Be sure to use a proper dust mask made specifically for fiber glass while
sanding.
I hope this helps someone else who might have been discouraged when they
found out about the bends.

Chris Crowley.