[simpits-tech] backlit panels 101

Ido Dekkers simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:55:33 +0300

could you tell us the exact mix of the white color and the correct black ?
I read they have to be some kind of MIL spec ?

Ido

             "Chris Woodul"
             <crewstation1@c
             harter.net>                                                To
             Sent by:                 <simpits-tech@simpits.org>
             simpits-tech-ad                                            cc
             min@simpits.org
                                                                       bcc

             06/20/2002                                            Subject
             02:11 AM                 Re: [simpits-tech] backlit panels
                                      101

             Please respond
             to simpits-tech

I worked for Photo Etch Aerospace from 1995 till last year, ( I am now at
Fain Simulation Systems)
I have watched literally thousands of Edge lit panels being made in both
the
chemical (Photo Etch) and LASER etch processes. It is really fascinating to
watch the laser do its thing.....it works very fast and even makes little
clouds of smoke as it burns off the black paint ( black absorbs light there
fore it burns off first, and leaves the white underneath clean and pretty)
I think the thread of messages previous to mine covers much of the
questions
asked.
One point is, an idividual could in theory create his own UV lab in his
garage ( or any space) and chemical etch his own panels.
I have thousands of edge lit panels in my own collection and of course was
like a cat in the Hen house when I worked there!
I worked in the part that made full up simulator assemblies.

One key feature that I will note, is that we used a clear coat that
actually
had baby powder mixed into it. This created that wonderful matte look that
you cannot achieve with spraycan flat.

I only use this specific clearcoat when doing my panel restorations or any
reworks.

I think Paul has some great F-16 panel art in progress from a Panel house
that I recomended to him. This may solve some of the panel needs for some
of
you.
Mechanical engraveing IS NOT THE WAY TO GO.

CHeers,

Chris

PS I just about have finnished the rework on that STENCEL SIIIS FSD F-16
Ejection Seat. Ill send some pictures to Gene to post as it looks really
nice now!