[simpits-tech] To gene or any other programmer

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:53:17 -0400

--=====================_794224==_.ALT

hi,

you are on a subject of concern to me, and i offer the following confusion:

other devices write to the "keyboard buffer" (which does not exist in the
strictest sense in windows), and operate independently of the knowledge of
any game, simulation, application, etc.

the one i think of in particular is the microsoft "strategic commander".
this device is designed for gameplay, yet you never have to worry about
libraries, or special support for any game. each game "picks up" the
specific keystroke definitions for any game, and it "just works".

perhaps i'm confused with software/hardware/driver/ issues, but it would
seem if you could touch the software at the OS level *in the same manner*
as these input devices, you would be much more along the lines of your desires.

  - adm -

At 08:18 AM 6/18/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Also, you don't have to worry about the target window state and whether or
>not the window can receive data from the SendMessage() call.  You also
>have to worry about key assignments.  What happens if your "gear" key
>isn't the same as the next guy that uses the software?

Q: Ever tried using SendMessage to send a KB event to a DirectInput
application?
Erwin.
 > > I'm in contact with Chester about the 0/256/0 an d i have a
 > friend who will
 > > help me with the programming,
 > > the question i have is why interface with the sim and not
 > send the key
 > > strokes directly to the keyboard buffer ?
 >
 > Because if the software isn't running on the same machine the
 > simulator
 > is, it won't do you much good. :)
 >
 > Also, you don't have to worry about the target window state
 > and whether or
 > not the window can receive data from the SendMessage() call. You also
 > have to worry about key assignments. What happens if your "gear" key
 > isn't the same as the next guy that uses the software?
 >
 > g.

----------

Alan D. Mazurka                    Webspace Design & Implementation
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_794224==_.ALT

hi,<br><br>
you are on a subject of concern to me, and i offer the following
confusion:<br><br>
other devices write to the &quot;keyboard buffer&quot; (which does not
exist in the strictest sense in windows), and operate independently of
the knowledge of any game, simulation, application, etc.<br><br>
the one i think of in particular is the microsoft &quot;strategic
commander&quot;. this device is designed for gameplay, yet you never have
to worry about libraries, or special support for any game. each game
&quot;picks up&quot; the specific keystroke definitions for any game, and
it &quot;just works&quot;.<br><br>
perhaps i'm confused with software/hardware/driver/ issues, but it would
seem if you could touch the software at the OS level *in the same manner*
as these input devices, you would be much more along the lines of your
desires.<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 08:18 AM 6/18/02 -0700, you wrote:<br><br>
the target window state and whether or<br>
not the window can receive data from the SendMessage() call.&nbsp; You
also<br>
have to worry about key assignments.&nbsp; What happens if your
&quot;gear&quot; key<br>
isn't the same as the next guy that uses the software?<br>
Q: Ever tried using SendMessage to send a KB event to a DirectInput
application?<br>
Erwin.<br>
A: It doesn't work :)<br><br>
&gt; -----Original Message----- <br>
&gt; From: Gene Buckle
&gt; Sent: Tuesday, 18 June, 2002 17:18 <br>
&gt; To: simpits-tech@simpits.org <br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] To gene or any other programmer <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; I'm in contact with Chester about the 0/256/0 an d i have a
&gt; friend who will <br>
&gt; &gt; help me with the programming, <br>
&gt; &gt; the question i have is why interface with the sim and not
&gt; send the key <br>
&gt; &gt; strokes directly to the keyboard buffer ? <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Because if the software isn't running on the same machine the <br>
&gt; simulator <br>
&gt; is, it won't do you much good. :) <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Also, you don't have to worry about the target window state <br>
&gt; and whether or <br>
&gt; not the window can receive data from the SendMessage() call. You
also <br>
&gt; have to worry about key assignments. What happens if your
&quot;gear&quot; key <br>
&gt; isn't the same as the next guy that uses the software? <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; g. <br>
&gt; <br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
Alan D.
Mazurka&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Webspace Design &amp; Implementation<br>
adm.design@verizon.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>