[simpits-tech] Making Panels

Gwen de Lucero simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:18:10 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2131F.D202ADA0

Hi Joseph,

I am currently finishing up making the panels for my Aimsworth F-16C =
block 50/52 cockpit.  I spent several months mulling over different =
ideas for the best method of making affordable panels that can be =
backlit, look realistic, and are durable.  The method I ended up going =
with is based on Martin Schmitt's suggestion for panels (see Martin's =
drawing on this page: http://www.xflight.de/f16/pe_sim_pnl.htm  ):

The panels are made of three primary parts: a printed transparency, a =
plexiglass faceplate, and a black abs plastic backplate...

-I made 150 dpi graphics in photoshop for the panels ( I plan to post =
these on the simpits site soon for anyone to use... all the files total =
about 11 megs zipped).=20

-I reverse-print the faceplates on transparency with a good laser =
printer.  At the same time I print a copy of each page of panels on an =
adhesive-backed white sheet (purchased at Kinko's for about 90 cents per =
page).  These are to be used as patterns for cutting the plexiglass.

-I cut the adhesive backed copies of the panels out and carefully =
arranged them on my sheet of plexiglass so as not to waste more material =
than necessary, then using a tabletop scroll-saw cut out the panels.  =
Clean up the edges with sandpaper and a dremel flex-shaft tool with a =
sanding drum.

-Next I spray the backside (the printed side) of the transparencies with =
a light layer of flat white paint, just enough to make the transparent =
areas white.  After this is dry I spay over the white with one coat of =
clear matte.

-The next part is the hardest- adhering the transparencies to the =
plexiglass without misaligning or damaging them.  After trying a few =
types of spray adhesive and finding that the glue seized almost as soon =
as I touched the plexi with the transparency I decided to try using the =
clear matte paint.  This actually seems to work fairly well and allows =
plenty of time to align the transparency. - I spray the back of the =
transparency and the front of the plexi each with one coat of clear =
matte and let it dry completely.  Then I spray each of them again with =
another coat of matte clear and let it dry for a few minutes then place =
the transparency on the plexiglass, align it, and work the bubbles out =
(easy to do by looking at the back of the faceplate.  After this point =
you should really let your work dry for at least a few days before =
moving ahead.

-After allowing the previous work to dry thoroughly I carefully mask off =
just the white text/graphics areas on the faceplates with masking tape =
cut to just cover the white parts.  Then paint the entire faceplate =
(front back and sides ) with several light coats of flat black paint.  =
Once the black is dry, remove the masking tape and then shoot the whole =
faceplate with a couple lights coats of matte clear.

This completes the faceplate... after that all you need to do is cut the =
matching backplate for the panel and you're ready to drill holes for =
switches etc...

For backlighting (and I must confess I haven't thoroughly tested this =
yet) I intend to drill holes through the backplate and into the back of =
the faceplate of each panel the right size to accept a standard LED.  =
Most of the panels ought to be able to be sufficiently lit with 3 or 4 =
LEDs.

At this point I have cut all but a few of the right side panels for my =
cockpit.  I have finished fully assembling and painting several panels =
including the landing gear panel which I'm particularly proud of :)

When All is said and done I expect to have spent a total of roughly =
$160.00 to make all the panels for my pit (not including switches, LEDs =
etc)...

20 sheets adhesive backed paper           - 20.00
1 2' X 4' X 1/8" sheet plexiglass         - 12.00
1 box laser printer transparencies        - 40.00
spray paints (black, white, yellow, clear)- 30.00
12 12" X 12" X 1/8" black ABS plastic     - 60.00 (you could easily =
substitute painted sheet metal for this)
           =20
total                                      162.00 +/- a few dollars here =
and there

I know I've been long winded but I figured you'd like to have the =
details.  I'll see if I can post some photos of my panels in the near =
future (once I get a digital camera).

Good luck to you.

Gwen

  ----- Original Message -----=20