[simpits-tech] EPIC Q's and programming for Falcon4

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:25:47 +0000

Hi Everyone:

I'm the software guy for our team.  The hardware guys
are now to the point of churning out wired up panels
and are a pressing me for EPL code.

There appear to be some significant challenges in
making EPL code for Falcon4...thinking of rotary
switches with only one keystroke assigned and that wrap
instead of stopping at what should be the end of
physical travel, three position toggle switches that
wrap like rotaries (up->down->center->up->down...), and
so on.  Not to hard to write EPL code for per se but
tricky to sync up with the state of the switches in the
game, perhaps, if things get out of whack.

It strikes me that there must be enough EPIC owners and
F-16 builders hereabouts that there are already
strategies in a) wiring physical knobs/switches and b)
EPL code itself to address some of these (ahem ;)
shortcomings in the way the Falcon4 keymappings work
for real hardware.

I'd like to find out if someone has already blazed this
trail and come up with cunning schemes rather than try
and re-invent things from scratch myself if it's not
necessary.

If you have already trodden this path and wouldn't mind
sharing your experience, I'd love to pick your brain a
little...

I'm also interested to talk with anyone that has the
new EPIC "device" syntax under control.  Docs are
pretty thin on that so far.

Please drop me a line if you might be able to help
guide me a bit.  Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Mark.