[simpits-tech] Did someone say mossie?

Mike Brogley simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:05:32 -0700 (PDT)

>The A-4 and spit are running FS Toolkit? (that sim that you basically had a
>shell and you design how everything works?)

Right - they're the little fiberglass shells with a monitor embedded -
you got to take off at Wigram and cruise around, and you could choose
time of day and so forth.  Not much past a desktop setup really.

I'm surprised those are not real mossie parts - it sure looked (and
smelled) real.  Maybe they mounted enough real parts to get "the smell"
<g>.

>The best part of the mossie is flying around in it then looking over your
>shoulder to see some old dude watching you.. who says "of course I flew
>them during the war".......  <= three hours later after the coolest war
>stories EVER I finally left.

That happened to me at an airshow once - standing there talking about
one of the B-17s that do the airshow circuit every couple of years
here in Northern CA, an old gent piped up on some point - turns out he
crewed them in the 8th AF over Europe.  I try to make sure I'm not
spouting off too much about the old planes at shows these days just in
case someone who knows better first hand is standing behind me.

>I get to Christchurch every few months for work, and always make time to
>visit the museum.  (I learned to fly at Wigram, back when it was the Air
>Forces primary training base, but I digress)

I though that was kind of a sad place, with all those planes that flew
in there having no chance of ever flying out.  I guess after the RNZAF
closed the base, gave the buildings to the museum, and then declared
the rest of the land (including that topped with the runways) surplus,
since the law says the Maori get first bid on any ex government land,
they got it, and they're building a housing development.  It'll end up
an air museum with a line of hangars closely surrounded by tract homes
on all sides.

Nothing against the Maori or tract housing, but it's the birthplace of
the RNZAF, right?  Kind of like putting a Wall-Mart on first-flight
hill at Kitty Hawk.

--
Mike