[simpits-tech] Nearly a costly mistake!

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:48:07 -0700 (PDT)

Many of you may be considering using small VGA displays for your cockpits,
especially the F16 and F/A-18 crowd.  DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING with these
commercial displays.

The rest of the world considers that when a connector has a keyway, it's
there to indicate pin 1.  Well in the display industry, when you have a 10
pin keyed card edge connector, the keyway indicates *pin 10*.  I got
lucky, putting 12VDC into the lower leg of the brightness pot shouldn't
have killed the CRT[1].  Save yourself the stress and VERIFY connector
orientation.  I could have easily killed some very spendy CRTs.

Be *careful!*

g.

[1]According to the engineer at Omni Vision (the mfr), putting 12V to the
board like I did shouldn't have hurt it.  We'll see.