[simpits-tech] A-4 website updated again

LT1_Z28 simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 02:19:44 -0500

Sean Galbraith wrote:

> Biggest problem I have is the moment-arm, since it will be pivoting from
> the rear.  I will most likely go with a fabricated aluminum frame with
> stretch formed plexi over that (probably 1/8") to get the nice complex
> curve into it.  I have thought about building the curved sections out of
> laminated 1/8 MDF with ali strip outers, but that was not rigid enough.
> Lucky for me one of my ex co-workers now runs a boat building yard, and is
> a pro at aluminium fabrication ;-)

I'd go with glass over foam. Light, handles compound curves easily, and
easier to bend foam than wood. You could even just tape off the edge
where the frame will sit, hose it down with spray foam, and sand it to
shape. When it looks right, glass it with 2-3 layers of 5 or 6 oz. glass
and you're pretty much done. With spray foam you can even use el cheapo
polyester resin (aka Bondo).
--
Steve
lt1_z28@swbell.net http://www.mysticz28.org/