[simpits-tech] A-4 website updated again

Sean Galbraith simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:29:19 +1200

At 03:17 PM 7/28/02 -0700, you wrote:
> > Hell yes... I flew a sim at RNZAF Ohakea  a couple of years back and
> THAT sold
> > me on the idea of a canopy :)
> > I will be doing a canopy, but I still have a few issues to deal with
> first, like
> > the framing for the thing.  I work in stainless steel, which is waaaay
> to heavy
> > for the canopy frame :)
>
>Sean, Rob and I built the one on the F-15 totally out of MDF of various
>thicknesses.  It worked out really well.

Biggest problem I have is the moment-arm, since it will be pivoting from
the rear.  I will most likely go with a fabricated aluminum frame with
stretch formed plexi over that (probably 1/8") to get the nice complex
curve into it.  I have thought about building the curved sections out of
laminated 1/8 MDF with ali strip outers, but that was not rigid enough.
Lucky for me one of my ex co-workers now runs a boat building yard, and is
a pro at aluminium fabrication ;-)

Sean