[simpits-tech] Message from the Track IR {Naturalpoint} team

David Wheeler simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:41:40 -0600

Hi all,
Well I admit to lurking here for several years.....since the get go really,
so now I finally have something to post that is info that all the experts
here do not already know...you guys amaze me with the things you find and
do....My cockpit is a sad thing compared to everyone else's on this list.
I am working as a consultant with the Naturalpoint company on adapting this
device for flight sims.
We started in IL-2 forums on SimHQ.  The product was just about a perfect
fit with that game...Which is a real show stopper if you ask me..{OK I'm a
little bit Biased as I consulted a bit with the producer Oleg Maddox and
managed to weasel my name into the manual:]}
Jim the President of naturalpoint is right in the middle of writing software
and rebranding the product...all driven by user input.
Here is a thread that is from a while back on the Track IR
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum78/HTML/002790.html
Since then we have released software that makes it so you can Keymap screen
positions so it can by used in MSFS2002....this thread explains it.
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/Forum35/HTML/007646.html
Here is a old review.
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/reviews/trackir/ We have new software
and driver since then, all flight sim oriented...the keymapping is now just
like the reviewer asked for so that it will work in non mouse view games
{I.E. MSFS 2002}
The head moves involved are very subtle and your eyes never leave the screen
plus the movements are scaleable.
Jim and I are in contact with several developers and producers including
Oleg Maddox {IL-2} and the ubisoft people {LOMAC guys have a unit}
Jim, myself and the rest of the track IR crew are very pumped about it's
potential in games...we have even released a developers kit so that people
can make their own apps for our gear.
I talked to Gene about this when we first were entering the flight sim
scene, Hi,Gene... then I decided I would wait till the software was
finished...I figured I should ask the God father of Simpits before I spammed
the group with our product info...glad that you found us...This is a nifty
product and the track IR team is really happy to be working with producers
and users to make our product seamless in the flight sim experience.
I am sure you have questions...ask away:]
Dave