[simpits-tech] Re: LCD Projectors

Wiebe, Alex simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:32:52 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B308.FCA8DD80

As I see it, the 3 features you should look for are: (in order of
preference)

1) Lumens - no amount of resolution / fancy features can overcome a lack of
light. I would suggest staying clear of anything less then 1000lumens. Those
700 lumen projectors are only good if your pit is located in a bat cave...

2) Refresh rate - I don't know what technology is out there (my set up is an
LCD Panel - TFT, 800x600), but older screens tended to wash out real fast. A
projector that can do 1024x768, but has a slow refresh will look worse then
a 640x480 with a fast refresh rate when the video changes rapidly.

3) Resolution - get at least 800x600, preferably 1024x768. Much more is
still too expensive. Make sure the resolution is native. A lot of eBay
auctions like to brag about their projector handling 1024x768, but when you
read the fine print, it's only an 800x600 projector that is doing some goofy
trickery to get the higher resolution.

Other inputs are nice to haves, it depends on what else you plan on using
the projector for.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B308.FCA8DD80

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Re: LCD Projectors</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>As I see it, the 3 features you should look for are: =
(in order of preference)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>1) Lumens - no amount of resolution / fancy features =
can overcome a lack of light. I would suggest staying clear of anything =
less then 1000lumens. Those 700 lumen projectors are only good if your =
pit is located in a bat cave...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>2) Refresh rate - I don't know what technology is out =
there (my set up is an LCD Panel - TFT, 800x600), but older screens =
tended to wash out real fast. A projector that can do 1024x768, but has =
a slow refresh will look worse then a 640x480 with a fast refresh rate =
when the video changes rapidly.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>3) Resolution - get at least 800x600, preferably =
1024x768. Much more is still too expensive. Make sure the resolution is =
native. A lot of eBay auctions like to brag about their projector =
handling 1024x768, but when you read the fine print, it's only an =
800x600 projector that is doing some goofy trickery to get the higher =
resolution.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Other inputs are nice to haves, it depends on what =
else you plan on using the projector for.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B308.FCA8DD80--