[simpits-tech] VOR Resolver to FS2002 question

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:47:49 -0800 (PST)

> BUT - now I would like to keep the VOR like it is now and sent the OBS
> resolver info
> direct to FS2002 and have it update FS2002 to the position it is in now.
>
> Question is ---- how to do this? Use a ADC?
>
> Any ideas out there

Ken, you're going to need to know what the position of the OBS ring is
even after a power cycle.  The only way to really do this is with
something known as a "Gray Encoder".  It's also known as an "absolute
optical encoder".  You basically have a disc with a pattern on it that's
read by phototransistors.  There is a site
at:http://ee.stut.edu.tw/teach/test/Untitled-11.htm that has images
describing what I'm talking about.  It's in Chinese, so just look for
"absolute optical encoder" and you'll see the images.  You'll need to use
a PIC or other microcontroller with these, but for an application like the
OBS disk, you can't beat this type of solution.

g.