AW: [simpits-tech] Head Up Display pics...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:48:39 -0800 (PST)

> someone asked the question before, but it left unanswered: can a normal
> human being build a HUD for a simpit, or is this almost impossible?? I just
> started with my F-16A project last September, trying my best now to get one
> instrument and one panel after the other. A working F-16A HUD just slit
> through my fingers when I started my cockpit interest - another guy was a
> few days quicker and got it for US$ 600 !!!!! A nightmare :(

Ouch.  That's too bad!

> Do you know if these HUDs are available somewhere, or did anyone build one
> yourself??

The HUDs that Matt & I use are surplus A7 HUDs.  They're built by Canada
Marconi.  This model was also used in very early A model F-16s.  Matt's
HUD has been upgraded with an F-16C UFC that he mounted himself.

I think that if you experiment with some lenses & mirrors, you could come
up with a usable HUD without too much trouble.  The combining glass in my
HUD is a bit over 1/4" thick - you should be able to pick this up from a
local glass supplier fairly cheaply.

here is how I think my HUD is built (I don't know exactly what is inside
the optics chamber)

- = light
| = light
L = lens