Fw: Re: [simpits-tech] flight yoke options

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:10:49 -0700

From: <ednix@juno.com>
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:55:17 -0700
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] flight yoke options

     Several comments here -
     I assume you're probably aware of the cockpit project MicroWings did
several years ago. They mechanically linked 2 wheels (yokes) together,
then linked the mechanism into a joystick. Somewhat  primative, but I
guess it worked. I have made seveal control wheel units, rudder pedals,
etc.
and would strongly recommend dividing the project into two major
catagories - mechanical, and electrical.
    If you're using 2 control wheels, concentrate on the mechanism that
links them together first. I'd check into sources that would show how the
real thing is done. I saw a good view of this mechanism at an air-show
onece.  First off, this linkage has to be dependable, smooth, and not
plagued with mis-aligned structual members that bind or create
off-balanced torque or moments. And, it can be a real challenge, due to
the requirement that it allow rotation as well as lateral movement. THEN,
once that mechanism is developed, link it into a pair of potentiometers.
The mechanism need not be expensive at all, the linkages can be made with
aluminum bar, rod stock, etc. I personally would not try to mechanically
link two CH wheel units. The shaft on that unit doesn't turn like a real
one. The aileron potentiometer is inside the wheel.  You could put two
units in your cockpit, and switch from one to the other as necessary.  I
personally use a single CH Virtual Pilot - cheapest version of their
wheel unit, plugs in the joystick port. I put several extra buttons on it
myself, however. I fly with a complete cockpit enclosure. .        <ED>

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.