[simpits-tech] Head tracking

David Wheeler simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:37:52 -0600

Alrighty...you guys move from 0-Mach 1 in about 6 hours...:]
Yes, eye tracking has been thought of in using The Track IR ....you'd need
to wear some Commander Data style contacts to reflect the IR light back to
the unit but it could be done.
Easier to place 3M reflective dots or active IR source on your head...but
you could do eye tracking if you really worked at it....Using contacts with
a product means getting the FDA involved if you're a company...and that is
big bucks, however you guys do the impossible all the time....some of the
pits are nicer then the ones the USAF uses to train with.  So I think you
guys might be able to figure something out...Track IR reads IR in the 850nm
range.
As to driving a projector...no problem, the SDK will let you do that by
developing the software for your uses.....Gene had that idea when I talked
to him, that was shortly before the SDK came out..
Check out the WWW.naturalpoint.com site under developers to see what I'm
talking about.
Here is stuff right from the site that can or might be done with the unit.
Multitracker. An array of 2 or more Track IR's connected through a USB hub
to image a greater area than an individual unit. Can be used as a base for
large motion tracking tasks or industrial automation.
Tracking Methodologies. The mathematics of combining and tracking multiple
objects in 3D using multiple units. Can be used as a base for 3D motion
tracking.
Body Tracking. Using a single unit or an array to image a person with
reflective material covered balls attached to their joints. Can be used to
track natural body motion for games or analysis.
Facial Tracing. Placing multiple reflective dots on action points on a
persons face to capture their facial expression. Can be used for live
animation of characters or virtual personalities.
Interactive Games. Using a players motion to directly or indirectly control
or influence a game. Can be used in anything from first person shooters to
flight simulators.
Machinery / Automation. Optical tracking can provide position feedback and
line of sight confirmation for industrial control. Uses range from a simple
limit stop to measuring distance or rotation of a reflective dot or active
LED.
Jim is working on a 6DOF unit and we hope to get some developers interested
in supporting it...I believe he has a functioning unit now, it is just a
matter of talking a developer into doing the ingame code and supporting the
API/drivers from naturalpoint....Plus all the sales and production hurtles,
however that is a project we have started to work on.
Right now we are working to get the basic Track IR type unit software
tweaked and get a installed base of users...plus we are in the middle of a
rebranding project and setting up a new website for the gaming/sim end of
the biz.
We will have forums for lots of things including projects.
Plus I know that someone is working on Linux drivers......That should make
Gene happy.
All in all there is now a company working on hardware to control views with
your head not you thumb:]
I look forward to your questions and hope you will give our product a try.
If you'd like I can dig up more links on the Track IR..or go to the SimHq
IL-2 forums and forum archives #1& #2 and read the threads posted there.
Most of the earlier posts explain more.
I'll see if I can get some Track files for the new IL-2 demo V2 so that you
can see how it works in action.
Dave Wheeler