Age, was Re: [simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:32:28 -0500

I know what you mean about flying, while I find airline travel mostly boring,
takeoff and landing is cool. I always get a kick out of high g forces on
takeoff, in any high performance aircraft. Landing is cool too, recently
during landing in an MD-80 I found myself grinning as the pilot threw the
reversers in and we were all being pushed forward, with the roar of the
engines and airflow over the reversers blasting away. It was strange that no
one else even seemed to notice it!

Airline travel for the most part annoys me though, and I've only flown a few
times. I suppose we should be grateful to have such relatively easy means of
travel, but it still gets on my nerves. :)

(rant coming............)

Random searches, nawwwwww I think they are pointless. It's a "feel good"
measure.  What's the chance they catch a terrorist? For the far-out chance
they catch one, the passengers pay in wasted time and inconvenience. Actually
I think they should back way off security (if you can call it that).
Reasonable measures are definitely appropriate, but stuff like random
searches and the latest restrictions on what passengers can take along (like
not letting them take plastic kitchen knives, good grief!) is ridiculous.
While not letting people take knives etc does make it a little tougher for
someone to use lethal force to take over a plane, a determined attacker is
sure to find some way. At that point, disarming the passengers just means it
will be that much easier for a terrorist to take over (imagine how things
would have been if the folks in Pennsyvlania, or in any of the other planes
on 9/11, had had a gun or even just a survival knife).

I guess the bottom line is, how much of your hard-earned freedom are you
willing to surrender for a little more security?

	-Matt Bailey