Age, was Re: [simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight

Chris Woodul simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:09:02 -0600

Hi Brian,

I get all that, and I wouldnt go into comercial flying today due to all the
hassle and such. But my father flew for Delta for 30 years ( while
simultaneously flying for the military in the reserves for the first 10 of
that)
He was what they called an A Scaler and flew relatively little and made
almost 250K per anum...not a bad deal. In fact since he was an A scaler at
Delta, they paid him almost a million to retire early ( he retired Five
years early ) becuase delta wanted to promote less expensive cockpit crews
up to save money.
I think my dad is going to live much longer as a result of this. And all
that good money bought alot of nice things including both of his airplanes.
As for bush flying, my dad is a huge fan of Alsaska, and he intends to fly
the Aircam all the way to Alaska and back, next year..that will be an
impresive ( yet very slow ) trip. The Aircam can land just about anywhere
and of course he will be sitting out in the wind at low level watching the
world go by. I would love to go along with him if I could, but I have to
work for a living and cant take the time off to do it. If I could have flown
in the military first and then flew with the airlines in the good old days
( Delta from 1967 to 1996 was just about right, no furloughs and good pay
through out that time) I got to fly all over the world, and vistit hundreds
of exotic ( and not so exotic) places. I lived a very comfortable lifestlye
becuase of it as well.
I do know that he longed for something that held the excitement of combat
flying ( he was 23 or 24 years old flying A-4Es off the US independace in
Viet Nam. He said that nothing can match that excitement- he is hard to
impress these days since he has done so much. But I see him giggle and smile
in his Aircam, which I get becuase its not like flying anything else. You
are out in the air, in a big twin engine plane and you fly low and slow over
hill and dale. That is very much like bush flying ( with a second engine) So
I DO GET WHAT YOU MEAN!

Chris