[simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 04:07:00 +0000

Gotchya. I had known about some of the difficulties the 'Hog had before the
Gulf War, I didn't realize they were so close to being gone, though! Even to
scrap all the sims, thats getting pretty close! Anyway, thanks for all the
info!

Brian

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Chris Woodul" <crewstation1@charter.net>
To: <simpits-tech@simpits.org>
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:59:43 -0600

Hi Brian,

I meant to say in my last Email that because of the gulf war ( 91) the A-10
got a PR reprive and the USAF had a change of heart and thats why I got
involved in the process of the UTD simulator which had to be developed from
scratch. All of the Reflectone ( now BAE systems ) simulators had been
scrapped in the late 80s as a cost savings measure ( especially since the
A-10 was due to be mothballed in the early ninties and it was such an easy
airplane to fly in the first place) After the gulf war, all the remaining
A-10's in service were modified to NVG compatable cockpits, and had a CDU
added as well as a system called L.A.S.T.E. and an actual auto-pilot (
before that the Hog drivers had to HAND FLY THE AIRPLANES all the way
accross the atlantic ocean) The Gulf War got the Hog some glory and its
reprive. The UTD trainers are deployed right now and are a total blast to
fly.

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_eliminateviruses_3mf