[simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:51:48 +0000

Interesting stuff, Chris! You've got me doubting it a bit more, but it still
seems to stick out in my memory that it was a ride in an A-10... Of course
there's no way to check on the news report, it was so long ago that I can
barely remember... I seem to recall it was around the Gulf War. But if it is
true that it was grounded 18 years ago, then I must be wrong, no way do I
remember that from when I was 1! Heheh. But if it were <10 or so, then I may
still be right. Or I may be completely full of it, both have been known to
happen from time to time! :)

Brian

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Chris Woodul" <crewstation1@charter.net>
To: <simpits-tech@simpits.org>
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] RE: F-16 flight
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:44:19 -0600

Hi Brian,

The two seater was around back in the late seventies when the A-10 was in
Production. I think it ended up at Edwards for an attempt at making the
backseaters station a dedicated WSO position ( after the trainer version
failed) but then that idea died as well. That two seater probably has not
flown in 18 years?? I cant confirm this right off the bat. Until the 1990
invasion of Kuwait the A-10 itself was on its last legs. The USAF did not
want it. All the flight simulators were scraped and sold off in the late
80's. I worked on the UTD ( Unit Training Device) and in the process I ended
up getting to keep an A-10A cockpit section that was cut off a real A-10 at
Davis Monthan AFB ( AMARC) in Tuscon Az. I was thrilled cause they thought
that the cockpit was a piece of scrap that had no more use to them since
they had already reverse engineered it. I ended up trading it to a friend in
California who still has it today. I also got to see the plane they cut off
the cockpit from at DM in person. They had the front end proped up on Wooden
crates to keep it level since it had no nose gear ( or nose for that matter)
It was almost a 16 foot long cockpit section with the titanium bathtub in it
and the canopy etc. When at DMAFB that time I did look for the two seat A-10
in the rows but did not see it. It may reside at the Edwards AFB musuem in
California.

Cheers,

Chris