[simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 15:45:19 -0500

--B_3123762320_12023314

I agree.  I wish you luck.

However, you might find programming is not so hard as you think.  The other
thing that you should consider is no matter what your pin assignment you ca=
easily reconfigure the software to agree with it.  It is not the pin
assignments that are your concern, but the functionality for each input
type.

That is, you can assign a function that handles the landing gear, which
should be two switches.  There are actually three states to the F-16 gear.
UP, DOWN, and TRANSITIONING.  You need two switches to capture those states=
.
It doesn=B9t really matter which inputs they are assigned to, because you can
redefine them in software very easily.

Another function example is when the dogfight switch is engaged some button=
on the ICP console are disabled.

Lastly, every function must have some sort of output.  This is where the
keystrokes for that function are passed to the PC so they can be processed
in  the sim program.  Sort of where the rubber meets the street.

So, developing a function for each input type would be valuable.  All you
need do is make sure that it can be easily redefined to the input(s) of you=
choice.

That would be a very worth while standard to do and my recommendation.

Marv

On 12/26/02 12:24 PM, "Frank Riedel" <frank@rezultat.dk> wrote:

> You got a point there Marv, but if we/I make a wiring diagram for all the
> buttons and lamps in an F16 Block 50,
> then we mabe can find someone there is hardcore on EPIC to make the code =
for
> it !... and then we
> place the file for download "outthere" and by that way we have maked a
> "standard" for those to come !
> =20
> =20
> Frank

--B_3123762320_12023314

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">I agree. &nbsp;I wish you luck. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
However, you might find programming is not so hard as you think. &nbsp;The =
other thing that you should consider is no matter what your pin assignment y=
ou can easily reconfigure the software to agree with it. &nbsp;It is not the=
 pin assignments that are your concern, but the functionality for each input=
 type.<BR>
<BR>
That is, you can assign a function that handles the landing gear, which sho=
uld be two switches. &nbsp;There are actually three states to the F-16 gear.=
 &nbsp;UP, DOWN, and TRANSITIONING. &nbsp;You need two switches to capture t=
hose states. &nbsp;It doesn&#8217;t really matter which inputs they are assi=
gned to, because you can redefine them in software very easily.<BR>
<BR>
Another function example is when the dogfight switch is engaged some button=
s on the ICP console are disabled.<BR>
<BR>
Lastly, every function must have some sort of output. &nbsp;This is where t=
he keystrokes for that function are passed to the PC so they can be processe=
d in &nbsp;the sim program. &nbsp;Sort of where the rubber meets the street.=
<BR>
<BR>
So, developing a function for each input type would be valuable. &nbsp;All =
you need do is make sure that it can be easily redefined to the input(s) of =
your choice.<BR>
<BR>
That would be a very worth while standard to do and my recommendation.<BR>
<BR>
Marv<BR>
<BR>
On 12/26/02 12:24 PM, &quot;Frank Riedel&quot; &lt;frank@rezultat.dk&gt; wr=
ote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">You got a point there =
Marv, but if we/I make a wiring diagram for all the buttons and lamps in an =
F16 Block 50,<BR>
then we mabe can find someone there is hardcore on EPIC to make the code fo=
r it !... and then we<BR>
place the file for download &quot;outthere&quot; and by that way we have ma=
ked a &quot;standard&quot; for those to come !<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Frank<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">----- Original Message -----=
 <BR>
<B>From:</B> Marv De Beque &lt;mailto:mdebeque@woh.rr.com&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> simpits-tech@simpits.org <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Thursday, December 26, 2002 3:22 PM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> Re: [simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think<BR>
<BR>
Had thought about that and actually discussed that with a few people.<BR>
<BR>
The idea has merit in that everybody has the same set up and we can share k=
nowledge and debugging tips.<BR>
<BR>
The reality is that it would take a lot of time to come to some agreement a=
s to what the standard should be. &nbsp;Look at the aircraft industry and yo=
u see what I mean. &nbsp;ARINC standards are a good one, but they take years=
 to come to a delusion and then nobody follows them when they do because of =
unforeseen needs.<BR>
<BR>
Now, I would think that we could come to an agreement faster than ARINC doe=
s on a standard for EPIC. &nbsp;However, there are a number of us that alrea=
dy have work invested in their own cockpits and the associated wiring. &nbsp=
;Even if we reached an agreement, chances are everyone that already has stuf=
fed wired up would be violating the new standard. &nbsp;&nbsp;How many of th=
ose people do you believe would rebuild their systems just to comply with a =
new standard?<BR>
<BR>
Personally, I think the best hope is to find one or two others that are at =
the same development point as you are and hammer out a standard with input f=
rom anyone else that is interested. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Right now I am up to my eyeballs with alligators, so I don=92t have the time =
to invest in that part of the project. &nbsp;Otherwise, I would lend a hand.=
<BR>
<BR>
Marv<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12/26/02 4:03 AM, &quot;Frank Riedel&quot; &lt;frank@rezultat.dk&gt; wro=
te:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hi all !<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Idea is to make a standard way to =
wireing the EPIC Input/Output-module<BR>
to the panels and one EPIC-file by that way we have created a complet<BR>
F16 pit - that all newbees can use, (inclued my self)<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">All the best<BR>
Frank<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">----- Original Message -----=
 <BR>
<B>From:</B> Marv De Beque &lt;mailto:mdebeque@woh.rr.com&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> simpits-tech@simpits.org <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Thursday, December 26, 2002 3:19 AM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> Re: [simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think<BR>
<BR>
Not sure what the =93idea=94 is that you &nbsp;are asking about.<BR>
<BR>
On 12/25/02 7:10 PM, &quot;Frank Riedel&quot; &lt;frank@rezultat.dk&gt; wro=
te:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Is it a bad idea ???<B=

</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Frank<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><B>From:</B> Frank Riedel &lt;mailt=
o:frank@rezultat.dk&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> simpits-tech@simpits.org <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Monday, December 23, 2002 10:52 AM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> [simpits-tech] To all - what do you guys think<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hi Martin &quot;Pegasus&quot; and =
all other that can help !<BR>
Now that we are close to the year 2003, and we all<BR>
have make a fantastic work by collecting huge data about<BR>
simulator and by that way help one and another... include my self<BR>
I startet out collecting information and nowhow at January 2002<BR>
and came out this year and have already make all panels with backlight<BR>
and now in construction face of my &quot;pit&quot; by help from ALL you guy=
s...<BR>
THANKS ALOT ALL<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I just need to wireing up all the =
panels... but when i come to programing i am<BR>
a real &quot;NewBee&quot; and other upcomming pitters will came in same sit=
uation, I<BR>
was thinking off makeing a standard connection (wiering) of all the panels.=
<BR>
I can make all the diagrams look here http://www.rezultat.dk/f16/full-wirei=
ng.htm</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> &lt;http://www.rezultat.dk/f16/ful=
l-wireing.htm&gt; </FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">(Not finished)<BR=

<B>Will any of you be able to program an EPIC-file after this diagram ???<B=

</B>if so... i think we then will have all drawings and wiering-diagram com=
plet !<BR>
and do any of you have any changes and &quot;&acute;hint&quot; to the diagr=
am just speak out ! ! !<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Frank<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">----- Original Message ----- <BR>
From: &quot;F16&quot; &lt;f16@xflight.de</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">=