[simpits-tech] Resistor for LEDs?

fitchett simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:42:54 -0700 (MST)

You can get around the 1 resister/LED by wiring them in series, if you
just want to light up a whackload of LEDs.  You will have to increase the
voltage you are powering them with depending on how many LEDs are in
series, about 2 volts per LED.  At the end of the chain, you put two
resistors, each going through a transistor (the optoisolated outputs are
good for this) to ground.  If you have both outputs off, the LED chain is
dark, one output will run the chain dim, and both outputs will run the
chain bright.  You can get away with only using one output by wiring one
resistor to ground directly, and switching the other resistor.  This will
give you dim by default, and bright under software control.

David Allen uses this to do bright/dim, for bulbs.  He is using a zener
diode to 'drop' a known voltage.

http://www.737flightsim.com/28v16v.html

Putting LEDs in series also simplifies the wiring for backlighting
operations.

Just don't drive LEDs in parallel without resistors for each LED; unless
you are using an constant current LED driver.

Chester