[simpits-tech] Re: motion platform, and outside view.

Ben Jones simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:15:08 +0800

A Easy way is to hace a 90 degree lever or a straight actuation motion
which is spring loaded and actuated by a elecrtic solenoid,
this can work in exactly the reverse way than i think you guys are thinking
. i believe at the moment your thoughts are to have a device when something
" happens " and the sim needs to be "locked" in to a safe position to stop
injury so when this sim fails due to a power failure or such fauld then a
solenoid is used to lock in a pin to stop the movement of the sim.

what i am thinking is have a spring loaded mechanism which is all ways
pulling the locking actuator in when now power is present , but if you
energise the coil or armature the pin is pulled out to let the sim operate ,
if ever the power failed the coil would de energise relese the armature and
then the pin or locking mechanism would pull and lock in due tho the spring
pressure,  just about happening instantly if a power failure occurred or a
power drop " brown out" happened.

if this thought is used with a simple controll circuit ..... if for say the
computer glitched and eratically moved thim sim about in a dangerous way
the pilot or console operator could hit a "dead mans switch"  which would
kill the power to the driving motors or actuators and lock the sim in
instantly....prob within microseconds. thus giving youself a chance for the
computer to ride the glitch out or even reset the sim without any danger tho
the pilot. ..

if you need help designing a controll circuit to do this  i can be of help
and if you like i could sketch the rough locking mechanism out for you.

just my thoughts

regards

ben jones

bjones@pipecomp.com.au