[simpits-tech] Sea Hawk flight manual...

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:00:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Matt Bailey wrote:

> It's got me thinking, I wonder how much success you would have if you were to
> contact NASA or some other such agency and ask about flight data for, say,
> the XB-70? Actually I saw a document on the Gary Powers U-2 incident that, if
> I am reading correctly, wasn't publicly released until 1992. I wonder how
> much of this stuff gets released under FOIA and we don't know about it? Just
> think of all the aerodynamic tech and flight data goodies out there........

>From my own experiences over the last few years:

1. Aviation in the USA is a LOT more relaxed in all aspects.
2. Americans are a lot friendlier and happier to help.
3. You can find shedloads of stuff on the US Ebay - zip on the UK one.

> I guess the museum can't release data for people doing flyable aircraft, due
> to liability?

Until it was established that I wasn't trying to restore my Hawk to
flyable status - I got very little from the Fleet Air Arm.

Roy.