[simpits-tech] Real F16 Side Stick Base Details?

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:01:38 -0500

I just finished a test rig.  I've got the Cougar's grip attached to the
"bending beam" with one LVDT and amplifier(Pitch axis).  It's all connected
to the controller board and I took a spin in Falcon4 tonight.  It feels very
good.  The travel is more than the real F-16 stick 3/4" vs. about 1/4", but
most of the extra travel is coming from the board I've got it mounted to.
There's so much torque, the board flexes.  This thing is really going to
have to have a very solid mount bolted to my chair.

The performance in Falcon4 is not only very precise, but the increasing
force (about 0-15 lb.) required really gives good tactile feedback for
sensing the relative position.

Now that the base is so solid, I noticed there's play between the grip and
the shaft coming out of the grip(above the nut).  Anybody worked on this
play?

Here's a link to a pic:
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/lvdtstick4.jpg