[simpits-tech] Press-N-Squeal PC Board Sheets

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 16:35:32 -0500

--B_3121605333_100796

Interesting.  Easy for me to do, but I did not consider it.

On 12/1/02 3:39 PM, "Ken Schlote" <kschlote2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One thing to note is that the printed side needs to be toward the board. If
> the other side is, there is enough light that gets around the traces do to the
> thickness of the acetate to make them smaller than you would like. So your
> printed PCB layout should be a reversed image.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Ken
>
>  Marv De Beque <mdebeque@woh.rr.com> wrote:
>> There are many, may PCB layout programs available. Some are freeware and
>> others cost.
>>
>> Do a search on the web and pick one that is in your budget.
>>
>> I use a CAD drawing program with good success. You can get Turbo-CAD for
>> free on the WEB.
>>
>> Douglass CAD makes stuff for the Mac and maybe the PC if you want a try
>> layout program instead.
>>
>> Then print the design to a clear acetate on your printer. You might want to
>> print two and overlay them for better results.

>>> so

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [simpits-tech] Press-N-Squeal PC Board Sheets</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Interesting. &nbsp;Easy for me to do, but I did not co=
nsider it.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12/1/02 3:39 PM, &quot;Ken Schlote&quot; &lt;kschlote2@yahoo.com&gt; wro=
te:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">One thing to note is that the print=
ed side needs to be toward the board. If the other side is, there is enough =
light that gets around the traces do to the thickness of the acetate to make=
 them smaller than you would like. So your printed PCB layout should be a re=
versed image. <BR>
<BR>
Just my two cents. <BR>
<BR>
Ken <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<B><I>Marv De Beque &lt;mdebeque@woh.rr.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">There are many, may PCB layout prog=
rams available. Some are freeware and<BR>
others cost.<BR>
<BR>
Do a search on the web and pick one that is in your budget.<BR>
<BR>
I use a CAD drawing program with good success. You can get Turbo-CAD for<BR=

free on the WEB.<BR>
<BR>
Douglass CAD makes stuff for the Mac and maybe the PC if you want a try<BR>
layout program instead.<BR>
<BR>
Then print the design to a clear acetate on your printer. You might want to=
<BR>
print two and overlay them for better results.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12/1/02 1:08 PM, &quot;Joseph Fagner&quot; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt; Hey Marv, I have used the photo etch system before on another project<=

&gt; unrelated to pit building. It does work and you can get good results<B=

&gt; but there is definitely some art to it. I used a PCB layout designed b=
y<BR>
&gt; someone else and could successfully make decent boards with this, but<=

&gt; hav! e ! not myself figured out how to use any software to layout a pc=
b, so<BR>
&gt; that is the first hurdle is laying out the tracings. The next is<BR>
&gt; exposing the presensitized board, pretty easy to do with a UV light.<B=

&gt; Then you have to take off the sensitized area with the reagent. This<B=

&gt; can lead to problems with leaving in too long and taking off too much =
of<BR>
&gt; the sensitized area. Then you have to develop it in the ferric chlorid=
e<BR>
&gt; solution. This takes awhile but does work.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Biggest problem I had was when traces where close together, you would<=

&gt; some times not remove all the copper and have to go and manually scrap=
e<BR>
&gt; it out. If you tried developing longer to get this resolution, you<BR>
&gt; invariably etch some pads and other tracings too thin.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; It does work and expect to go through a learning curve when etching bu=
t<BR>
&gt; the biggest problem/hurdle for me was making a pcb layout to transfer =
to<BR>
&gt; ! cl! ear acetate sheet for the sensitizing step.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; If anyone out there has a good easy program to use, please send the in=
fo<BR>
&gt; our way. I have tried protel, but it was too complex for me and didn't=
<BR>
&gt; want to learn the whole thing for a 30 day trial software. I'm not<BR>
&gt; about to pay $8,000 for the software<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Jay<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>
&gt; From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org<BR>
&gt; [mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org] On Behalf Of Marv De Beque<BR>
&gt; Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 10:52 AM<BR>
&gt; To: simpits-tech@simpits.org<BR>
&gt; Subject: [simpits-tech] Press-N-Squeal PC Board Sheets<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; I recently bought the Press-N-Peel PC Board film to try making some<BR=

&gt; small<BR>
&gt; prototype boards.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; The bad news is that I was very underwhelmed with the results.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; The good news is that it only took about 5 minutes of working with the=
<BR>
&gt; stuff<BR>
&gt; to real! iz! e that it was not going to work.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; The biggest problem is registering the film over the PCB. Once you get=
<BR>
&gt; it<BR>
&gt; where you want it, applying the hot iron will move it where you don't<=

&gt; want<BR>
&gt; it. However, it won't move until it has deposited 50% of the toner in<=

&gt; one<BR>
&gt; spot and then finishes with the remainder smeared over a different spo=
t.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Neither spot is where I had intended it to go.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Not sure if I want to explore the UV photo etch route or not.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Marv<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; _______________________________________________<BR>
&gt; Simpits-tech mailing list<BR>
&gt; Simpits-tech@simpits.org<BR>
&gt; To unsubscribe, please see the instructions at the bottom of the above=
<BR>
&gt; page. Thanks!<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Simpits-tech mailing list<BR>
&gt; Simpits-tec! h@! simpits.org<BR>
&gt; To unsubscribe, please see the instructions at the bottom of the above=
 page.<BR>
&gt; Thanks!<BR>
<BR>