[simpits-tech] Cougar Mod extension - Request suggestion and feedback

A L B E R T simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:12:25 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C1EB5F.63131520

Guys,=20

after we talked much the tight space we have got and how much Gene has. =
I spend tonight holding my cougar stick...thinking its not really hard =
to modify to sit in the f16 cockpit to its side stick position...

I upload the picture to the simpit file section called cougar mod.jpg . =
I am sure Marv has already thought of something. However, this idea came =
to my head and I want to share it with you and get some comment on the =
design.=20

First of all, I am no craftsman...I come up with the idea not know how =
on earth to machine the thing and its really frustrating...especially =
with metal. Second of all, the aim of this design is to minimise the =
heart break of breaking apart a 300 dollars joystick. Finally, I tried =
to keep the realistic measurement in mind. All measurement used in this =
concept sketch is only approximation.

I first tried my hands on the cougar and was very disappointed that the =
stick still swing quiet alot side by side i.e. its still far too loose =
compared to the real movement on the FLCS. Also, the base of the stick =
is rather big. As you all know. The F16 FLCS has a small base sitting =
under the stick itself...something like a pressure actuator? (Help me =
here pogo, I seen you have a real stick on your site :)=20

Due to those reasons, I thought the cougar might be good for the desk. =
but not so much for the pit... But anyway...I brought it! Cant help =
it...ouch...that hurts! and the obvious aim now is to try get the stick =
into the cockpit. That's how I came up with this little design so I dont =
have to break the stick. yet I can still create the base of the FLCS and =
hide the actual cougar's base under the panel. If one day I have to pull =
the cougar out. I simply remove the extension and the stick is back to =
its normal self again.

I spend the whole night drooling on this idea. so I started drawing it =
up in Illustrator (I dont know how to use CAD programs). I have =
absolutely no idea how I can make this thing myself. I am not skilled in =
metal at all...creating the screw tracks for the cougar to screw on the =
top and a male attachement like the existing one on the cougar will =
definetly out of my area of expertise. Any comment and suggestion will =
be appreciated. I honestly just want to pay someone who knows how to =
machine such part for a decent cost.

Anyway, its sunrise...I better get to bed. My simpit habbit has once =
again ruin my sleeping pattern. :(

Albert
Sydney, Australia

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C1EB5F.63131520

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Guys, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>after we talked much the tight space we =
have got=20
and how much Gene has. I spend tonight holding my cougar =
stick...thinking its=20
not really hard to modify to sit in the f16 cockpit to its side stick=20
position...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I upload the picture to the simpit file =
section=20
called cougar mod.jpg . I am sure Marv has already thought of something. =

However, this idea came to my head and I want to share it with you and =
get some=20
comment on the design. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First of all, I am no craftsman...I =
come up with=20
the idea not know how on earth to machine the thing and its really=20
frustrating...especially with metal. Second of all, the aim of this =
design is to=20
minimise the heart break of breaking apart a 300 dollars joystick. =
Finally, I=20
tried to keep the realistic measurement in mind. All measurement used in =
this=20
concept sketch is only approximation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I first tried my hands on the cougar =
and was very=20
disappointed that the stick still swing quiet alot side by side i.e. its =
still=20
far too loose compared to the real movement on the FLCS. Also, the base =
of the=20
stick is rather big. As you all know. The F16 FLCS has a small base =
sitting=20
under the stick itself...something like a pressure actuator? (Help me =
here pogo,=20
I seen you have a real stick on your site :) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Due to those reasons, I thought the =
cougar=20
might be good for the desk. but not so much for the pit... But =
anyway...I=20
brought it! Cant help it...ouch...that hurts! and the obvious aim now is =
to try=20
get the stick into the cockpit. That's how I came up with this little =
design so=20
I dont have to break the stick. yet I can still create the base of the =
FLCS and=20
hide the actual cougar's base under the panel. If one day I have to pull =
the=20
cougar out. I simply remove the extension and the stick is back to its =
normal=20
self again.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I spend the whole night drooling on =
this idea. so I=20
started drawing it up in Illustrator (I dont know how to use CAD =
programs). I=20
have absolutely no idea how I can make this thing myself. I am not =
skilled in=20
metal at all...creating the screw tracks for the cougar to screw on the =
top and=20
a male attachement like the existing one on the cougar will definetly =
out of my=20
area of expertise. Any comment and suggestion will be appreciated. I =
honestly=20
just want to pay someone who knows how to machine such part for a decent =

cost.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, its sunrise...I better get to =
bed. My=20
simpit habbit has once again ruin my sleeping pattern. :(</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Albert</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sydney, =
Australia</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C1EB5F.63131520--